DUI, or driving under the influence, is considered a criminal offense that is usually committed by drivers who are impaired to drive due to the consumption of drugs or alcohol. It is a crime in all states of the United States. In this article, we will be discussing who DUI lawyers are and the circumstances when you are required to hire them.
What Is DUI Law?
It is an offense in every state of the United States to drive a vehicle while being influenced by any intoxicating substance like alcohol or drugs. Moreover, if you are determined to have driven while under the influence of prescription drugs, then also you will be charged under DUI law.
On the other hand, the DUI law is governed by the occurrence of blood-alcohol concentration (BAC) evidence. The BAC test is conducted for the purpose of determining the concentration of alcohol within the bloodstream of the driver.
Penalties Under The DUI Law
There are a variety of penalties that are related if you are charged with DUI. This is because, unlike any other criminal offense, DUI charges also lead to penalties.
The penalties that are associated with DUI conviction are as follows:
- Fines are one of the least difficult kinds of penalties that are awarded to someone who has been charged with DUI. The average penalty for DUI ranges from a few hundred to several thousand dollars based on your jurisdiction and the complexity of the case.
- Prison time is a harsher kind of penalty awarded when charged with DUI. Jail time due to DUI can last from a few days to several years, depending on the severity of the case you have been involved in.
- Revocation or suspension of license is another penalty associated with DUI charges. If a driver has been found guilty of driving under the influence, there is a high chance that their license will be revoked or suspended. The license of a DUI driver can be suspended and revoked depending on the severity of the case.
- Installation of an ignition interlock device is a jurisdiction-specific penalty associated with DUI charges. In this penalty, a driver is required to pass a breathalyzer test to start the vehicle.
The penalties for a DUI charge tend to be varying depending on the jurisdiction, the offender’s previous convictions, and the intensity of the offense that has been determined.
Role And Duties Of DUI Lawyers
DUI is a criminal offense within all states of the United States, due to which all cases related to DUI are trialed in a criminal court. This means any lawyer focusing on DUI law is a specialized attorney in terms of handling criminal cases.
The primary responsibility and role of DUI lawyers in the United States is to represent clients in the court of law who have been charged with the offense of driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
Due to this, it is usually observed that DUI lawyers have the responsibility to lower or drop the penalties that have been charged to their clients. Moreover, such lawyers are also recognized for their capacity to determine any loopholes within the case that has been raised against their client.
Moreover, DUI lawyers are also known to play a role in assessing the case that they have been assigned. This helps them to acquire vital facts and information regarding the case that can be presented in court to reduce the penalties for their clients.
When To Hire A DUI Lawyer?
There are a variety of reasons that can require you to hire a DUI lawyer. Some of the common reasons that can require you to hire a DUI lawyer are as follows:
- If you need a legal opinion regarding DUI laws, then a DUI lawyer is your go-solution. For instance, if you have been arrested by a police officer who has a curiosity that you are driving under the influence, then you can approach a DUI lawyer regarding the situation.
- You will be required to hire a DUI lawyer when you are seeking to negotiate a plea bargain. This means if you have evidence that you were not in the vehicle being DUI but still have been charged for the offense, then a DUI lawyer will assist in acquiring the evidence for arranging the plea bargain.
- You might need a DUI lawyer when you are trying to dismiss a case that has been charged with DUI offenses. This means, an experienced DUI lawyer will be able to effectively provide appropriate defenses to make the case dismissed from trial.
So, these are the few reasons behind hiring a DUI lawyer when faced with a charge for DUI or acquiring knowledge related to DUI laws.
Finding A Good And Effective DUI Lawyer
Having a good DUI lawyer by your side is a necessity when faced with a DUI charge. They will be able to make use of their experience in the field for the purpose of acting in your best interest.
While choosing a reliable DUI lawyer, make sure they have experience in the field for more than five years and a high winning percentage. This means the lawyer must have a high success rate in dismissing or reducing DUI penalties for their client.
The cost of hiring a DUI lawyer ranges from $1,500 to $10,000 on average. On the other hand, there are also many other costs that are associated with a DUI conviction. This can include fines, loss of driver’s license, and increase in insurance rates of the vehicle.
Now you have a fair idea regarding what a DUI lawyer is for and their roles and responsibilities. Moreover, we have also provided you with some of the common reasons that might arise to hire a DUI lawyer for yourself.
We at lowermylegalfees.com would advise you that you conduct appropriate research regarding the hiring of a good and experienced DUI lawyer.
Hope you have found this article useful for your legal needs.